8. South Dock Information & History
South Dock was built in 1807–1811 just south of Greenland Dock, to which it is connected by a channel now known as Greenland Cut. It also has a lock giving access to the River Thames. Originally named the East Country Dock, it was renamed in 1850 when the Surrey Commercial Dock Company purchased and enlarged it. During World War II, the dock was seriously damaged by German attacks. Due to bomb damage in Greenland Dock, South Dock became the only exit from that dock. It was emptied of shipping in 1944, drained and used for the construction of concrete sections for the Mulberry Harbours used on D-Day. After the war, it was repaired and the surrounding warehouses rebuilt. The revival of the Surrey Docks was short, the new container ships were much too big for the river, most of the river trade moved downriver to more modern ports. Surrey Docks closed in December 1970 and were sold to the London Borough of Southwark in 1977. More at wikipedia | Southwark History Walk PDF >
View Photos of here and nearby locations | Buy Prints
Lime House Basin
Olympic Park
Royal Victoria Dock
Royal Albert Dock
Albert Basin
London Bridge
Tower Bridge
St Katharine’s Dock
Shadwell Basin
West India Docks
Poplar Dock
East India Dock
Surrey Water
Canary Wharf
The O2 Centre
King George V Dock
Blackwall Basin
Thames Barrier
Greenland Dock
Millwall Dock
Greenwich Foot Tunnel
South Dock
London Docklands Photography
PhotographyBuy PrintsHistory and InformationAttractionsPhoto BlogLinksContact
1.London Bridge
2.Tower Bridge
3.St Katharine Docks
4.Shadwell Basin
5.Surrey & Canada Water
6.Limehouse Basin
7.Greenland Dock
8.South Dock
9. Millwall Dock
10.Canary Wharf
11.West India Docks
12.Blackwall Basin
13.Poplar Dock
14.Greenwich Tunnel
15.The O2 Centre
16.East India Dock
17.Olympic Park
18.Thames Barrier
19.Royal Victoria Dock
20.Royal Albert Dock
21.King George V Dock
22.Albert Basin
Luke Agbaimoni
South Dock