9. Millwall Dock Information & History
The Millwall Dock was constructed by John Aird & Co in 1868. The dock is L-shaped, with an 'Outer Dock' running east-west, and an 'Inner Dock' running north from the eastern end. It originally contained around 36 acres of water and had a 200 acre estate. The western end of the Outer Dock was originally connected to the Thames at Millwall by an 80ft wide channel. The spoil from the docks formed the area of wasteland known as the Mudchute. With reorganisation by the PLA in the 1920s, the northern end of the Inner Dock was connected to the West India Docks by the Millwall Passage, and the direct connection to the Thames was filled. The dock was used mainly for timber and grain, a trade which eventually moved down river to the Port of Tilbury with the construction of a major grain terminal in the 1960s. A McDougall's flour mill on the south side of the Outer Dock was demolished in about 1980. More at wikipedia | Read british-history.ac.uk | Also read millwall-history.org.uk >
View Photos of here and nearby locations | Buy Prints
Lime House Basin
Olympic Park
Royal Victoria Dock
Royal Albert Dock
Albert Basin
London Bridge
Tower Bridge
St Katharine’s Dock
Shadwell Basin
West India Docks
Poplar Dock
East India Dock
Surrey Water
Canary Wharf
The O2 Centre
King George V Dock
Blackwall Basin
Thames Barrier
Greenland Dock
Millwall Dock
Greenwich Foot Tunnel
South Dock
London Docklands Photography
PhotographyBuy PrintsHistory and InformationAttractionsPhoto BlogLinksContact
1.London Bridge
2.Tower Bridge
3.St Katharine Docks
4.Shadwell Basin
5.Surrey & Canada Water
6.Limehouse Basin
7.Greenland Dock
8.South Dock
9. Millwall Dock
10.Canary Wharf
11.West India Docks
12.Blackwall Basin
13.Poplar Dock
14.Greenwich Tunnel
15.The O2 Centre
16.East India Dock
17.Olympic Park
18.Thames Barrier
19.Royal Victoria Dock
20.Royal Albert Dock
21.King George V Dock
22.Albert Basin
Luke Agbaimoni
Millwall Dock